Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Encore: New York City pt III - The Postcard That Redeemed Our Faith

While at the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in Manhattan, I stopped at the gift shop to buy a postcard to send to my lab. I wrote a message, got a Stars Wars stamp from Thad, and put the postcard in my pocket as we went out that Saturday night, figuring I would find a mailbox as we were carousing around. I never did find a mailbox; in fact, I rather quickly forgot about the postcard in my pocket. The next morning I realized I had lost it, and I was a bit depressed about my postcard lying in the middle of the street somewhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn. But, since the the postcard already had a stamp on it, perhaps some honorary citizen would find it and mail it for me. Thad was skeptical, saying something to the tune of "This is New York City; You'll never see that postcard again." 

Checking my lab's mailbox yesterday, look what I find! Someone, somewhere in New York City, found the postcard and placed it in a mailbox. Thank you whomever you are. I immediately called Thad to rub it in, and he said "Wow. That's awesome. I was wrong. It's restored my faith in the humanity of New York." 

I should note that Thad's faith in New York City's humanity had been recently damaged due to a robbery of his apartment four months previous during which his labtop and guitars were stolen.

No comments: