Saturday, August 9, 2008

Encore: New York City Pt I - Landing

After the NIC conference in Cleveland, I was hoping to drive Bopper out to Brooklyn, New York City to see my friend Thad in my annual pilgrimage to the big city (2005, 2007). I had grandiose plans to recruit Thad and the locals to spraypaint/tag Bopper. Alas, Bopper broke down, and my roadtrip was cut short. I called Thad in Cleveland and told him I couldn't make it.

But....never say die. It turned out I had enough frequent flyer miles on my Northwest Airlines account that I could fly in New York City for free, and first class to boot! So, a month after returning to Ann Arbor, I finally completed the vacation tour of America by getting on a plane to New York City. Due to inclement weather the night before in NYC, air traffic control had the arriving planes circling for an hour while other planes took off. I didn't mind, as the seats in first class were comfortable enough that I actually (gasp) enjoyed being in the plane (the free wine also helped).

The upshot of the circling was that when we descended, we were able to get a very nice view of Manhattan due to the direction we were coming from.

In the pic below you can see the docks of Brooklyn in the background.
In this pic you can see the Williamsburg bridge (left) and the Brooklyn bridge (right).
And, flying over Midtown, if you look in the lower left of the pic below, you can make out the Empire State Building.

No comments: