Thursday, May 8, 2008

Neurophysiology of Flight Control


In my pipe dreams, I'd love to combine my hobbyist interest in space flight with my day job as a neuroscientist. In my early days I tried to do this by working on vestibular systems, but I found that field simply wasn't very interesting. It's as if, take neuroscience, which is interesting, and space flight, which is interesting, and combine them together, and you get something boring? Sorry to all you vestibular folks out, maybe its just I am not a sensory neuroscience guy. 

Anyway, I've always thought that once wireless technology improves, it be a lot of fun, and probably ground breaking, to extend my study of motor cortex electrophysiology to the motor physiology of flight control in birds. What is the representation of wings in the motor cortex. How does the motor cortex (neopallidum in birds I think) encode controlled stalls when landing?

Well, I have no knowledge, really, of aerodynamics, and some investigators here at the University of Michigan wrote a book: "The Aerodynamics of Low Reynolds Number Flyers" which I just bought today on Amazon. Ask me in four months if I was actually able to understand it and come up with an experiment!

To be fair, however, there is one professor, Michael Dickinson of Caltech, studying the neurophysiology of flight in the much more manageable preparation of the fruit fly. 

No comments: