Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Flying Over Ann Arbor at 2500 ft


I love flying, but I hate flying. 

Seeing a plane in the air never ceases to amaze me: that actually works? You can actually fly in the air? I get the sense of wonder at man's magnificent achievement every time.

However, I don't know how to fly a plane, and the lack of control makes me uncomfortable. I can't stand being in a jet liner with 100 hundred other people being flown in a long aluminum tube by a pilot I don't even know. Every noise the plane makes freaks me out. Now, I don't let this get in the way of traveling, but I am never happy in a plane.

This love/hate relationship can be seen in the video above. My buddy Luis was in town, and after I turned in my dissertation last week I thought it would be fun to fly with him and see Ann Arbor from a different perspective. And it was fun, but everyday the plane jerked (it was pretty bumpy in that small plane), I'd freak out in my mind. I didn't show it to Luis of course, but I had the simultaneous feeling of loving the adventure and the view but also wanting to get on the ground as fast as possible.

No comments: