Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Scientist Hero




Awhile ago my lab had a contract with DARPA to train sharks using brain electrodes. I was only minorly involved in the project, but I did get to meet the coolest scientist ever. We collaborated with Dr. Jeff Carrier of Albion University, as his lab actually housed the sharks we implanted.

I want out to Albion one day to help with the electrophysiology, and during some down time I asked Jeff, "You know, in our lab, we work on neural interfaces, which has potential clinical benefit, so we have a variety of funding sources. When you are a pure biologist simply interested in shark behavior, how do you get funding to do your experiments?"

Jeff then looked at me straight in the eye and said "Any f**king way I can. I put my house on a second mortgage to lease a boat to do my experiments." 

Now that is pretty badass. I'm never complaining about the difficulty of getting funding ever again.

No comments: