Saturday, June 28, 2008

Allen Ginsberg reading to High School Students

My oldest friend, the first person I sat next to in first period of junior high, had a hippie uncle from upstate New York. This uncle was a high school teacher who managed to invite Allen Ginsberg to read his famous poems to the high school students in the late 80's/learly 90's (exact date uncertain). My friend, Eric, who I am still very close to, had an old tape of the reading, and one lonely Friday night in undergrad (I still remember that boring night distinctly..weird),  I converted the reading to mp3 format.

My buddy Colin, who is an amateur painter, invited me to a gallery showing in Ann Arbor today, and some paintings struck me as reminiscent of "Sunflower Sutra." The oil paintings depicted lone flowers standing  proud among trash heaps and industrial wastelands. The painter must have heard/read this poem, courtesy of a random upstate New York high school. 

No comments: